We have tried to make the Perch as accessible as possible by following many federal code guidelines.
We also sought out the advice of several individuals with disabilities who have recently built or renovated
spaces for themselves and others.
- Level 3/4 in. crushed gravel parking area and concrete landing area at foot of ramp which hugs the rock ridge to the main entrance.
- Ramp to main entrance with 10:1 slope over 60 ft. and minimum width of 4 ft. Rest area of 4 ft. by 5 ft. at 27 ft. Stop and enjoy the moss, ferns and rock textures!
- Decking is all one level off ramp to front entrance and wrapping around kitchen to 14 ft. by 16 ft. eating area and Kitchen/Deck door. Decking steps down two steps to small lower deck off kitchen deck.
- Front Entry door 36 in. wide; Bathroom door 36 in. wide; Kitchen/Deck door 32 in. wide; Bedroom/Patio door 36 in. wide with 4 ft. by 4 ft. deck. All doors equipped with lever hardware.
- Bathroom features: Door width 36 inches; Roll in shower; Two separately controlled shower heads; Lower shower head on flex hose; Cantilevered sink to accommodate chair; Wall hung toilet to increase clearance; Grab bars at toilet and in shower; Towel racks are also rated grab bars; Lever style faucet handles.
- Kitchen features: Large sink with lever style faucet handle; Cantilevered counter beside sink for chair access and food prep; Front controls on stove; Microwave on counter for easier access; All cabinet drawers and shelves are roll out style with grab bars; No upper cabinets.
- Kitchen island is 35 in. from sink counter, 45 in. from stove, 46 in. from fridge, 36 in. from roll out pantry.
- Queen size bed on non-protruding pedestal and 20 in. to top of mattress. Space on both sides of bed is 40 in. Reading light switches by pillow at each side of bed. Sorry, no assistance bars by the bed.
- Bamboo hardwood and slate floors all at one level.
- Fireplace hearth level with floor and wood storage beside fireplace. Additional wood stored on deck at same level.
We welcome any suggestions on how we can improve accessibility at The Perch, or better present the
information on the website. Thank you for your interest.
Kathleen & Brent